The carambola, also known as starfruit, is a tropical and subtropical fruit. In the United States, carambolas are grown in tropical and semitropical areas, including Texas, Florida and Hawaii. Ripe yellow carambolas are sweet without being overwhelming as they rarely have more than 4% sugar content. They have a tart, sour undertone, and an oxalic acid odor. Their delicious taste is difficult to compare, but it has been likened to a mix of apple, pear, grape, and citrus family fruits.
|Ripe carambola||750 g|
- Slice carambolas across into 1/8 inch thick stars.
- Mix with vodka adding clove.
- Macerate for 3 weeks in a closed jar. Shake the jar once a week.
- Strain and filter. Infusion is very clear.
- Mix carambola infusion with 200 ml honey.
- Pour into bottles.