Smoked and Baked Pork Tenderloin
|Pork tenderloin||1000 g||2.2 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|garlic||20 g||6 cloves|
|paprika||10 g||5 tsp|
|water||1 liter||1 qt|
- Curing solution, 25 deg SAL, (6 Be): Salt, 30 g (5 tsp), Cure #1, 4.5 g (3/4 tsp), Sugar, 5 g (1 tsp), Water, 500 ml
- Remove any membrane and outside fat. Place 1 kg tenderloin in 0.5 l curing solution and cure for 3 days in refrigerator.
- Drain for 6 hours.
- Make a hanging loop 3 cm (1") at the thicker end.
- Crush garlic and add with paprika to 1 liter od water. Bring to a boil, then dip tenderloins for 30 seconds in the solution.
- Hang for 1 hour to dry.
- Apply hot smoke 45-60 C, 113-140 F, for 80-90 min, then bake for 20 minutes at 80-85 C, 176-185 F. The tenderloin should reach 60-70 C, 140-158 F internal meat temperature and be of the light brown color.
- Cool in the air to < 18 C, 64 F.
There are also cold smoked versions where meat is not cooked at all, but cold smoked for 12 hours or longer.
Common wood for smoking is alder, beech and fruit trees like cherry and apple.