Scallop Stuffed Acorn Squash
Scallop stuffed acorn squash.
- 1 pound scallops, fresh or frozen
- 3 medium acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter or other fat, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Thaw frozen scallops. Remove any shell particles and wash. Chop scallops.
- Cut squash into halves lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Brush centers with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in a 3-quart casserole containing water.
- Cover and bake in a moderate oven, 350° F, for 1 hour or until tender.
- Cook onion, horseradish, mushrooms and scallops in butter for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Blend in flour and salt.
- Add milk gradually and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Fill squash.
- Combine butter and crumbs; sprinkle over scallop mixture.
- Return to oven and bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until brown.