Crab Salad in Ring Mold
Crab salad in ring garnished with mayonnaise and served in salad greens.
- 1 pound crab meat
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Salad greens
- Mayonnaise or salad dressing
- Remove any shell or cartilage from crab meat, being careful not to break the meat into small pieces.
- Soften gelatin in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Heat tomato sauce to boiling point; add gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Chill until almost congealed.
- Soften cheese at room temperature.
- Add onion, celery, cucumber, seasonings and crab meat; fold into gelatin mixture.
- Place in a 1-quart ring mold; chill until firm.
- Unmold on salad greens; garnish with mayonnaise.