Deviled crab, deviled eggs or deviled clams, all these recipes are made with a strong dash of cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce.
- 1 pound crab meat
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter or other fat, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter or other fat, melted
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Remove any shell or cartilage from crab meat.
- Cook onion in butter until tender.
- Blend in flour.
- Add milk gradually and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Add seasonings and lemon juice.
- Stir a little of the hot sauce into egg; add to remaining sauce, stirring constantly.
- Add parsley and crab meat.
- Place in 6 well greased, individual shells or 5-ounce custard cups.
- Combine butter and crumbs; sprinkle over top of each shell.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 350° F, for 15 to 20 minutes or until brown.