Crab casserole is a wonderful way of preparing crab meat.
- 1 pound crab meat
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter or other fat, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or other fat, melted
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Remove any shell or cartilage from crab meat.
- Cook celery and green pepper in butter until tender.
- Blend in flour.
- Add milk gradually and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Stir a little of the hot sauce into egg yolk; add to remaining sauce, stirring constantly.
- Add lemon juice, seasonings and crab meat.
- Place in a well greased 1-quart casserole.
- Combine butter and crumbs; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 350° F, for 20 to 25 minutes or until brown.