Meats and Sausages
Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes
An old classical recipe for preparing Chesapeake Bay crab cakes.
- 1 pound blue crab meat
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or other fat, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Remove any shell or cartilage from crab meat.
- Cook onion in butter until tender.
- Combine all ingredients except crumbs.
- Shape into 6 cakes and roll in crumbs.
- Place cakes in a heavy frying pan which contains about 1/8-inch of fat, hot but not smoking.
- Fry at moderate heat.
- When cakes are brown on one side, turn carefully and brown the other side.
- Cooking time approximately 5 to 8 minutes.
- Drain on absorbent paper.