Baked Crab Meat in Shells
A quick crab recipe that combines crab meat, tomato sauce and cheese.
- 1 pound crab meat
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter or other fat, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- Remove any shell or cartilage from crab meat.
- Cook onion in butter until tender.
- Blend in flour.
- Add milk gradually and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Add tomato sauce, seasonings and crab meat.
- Place in 6 well greased, individual shells or 5-ounce custard cups.
- Combine cheese and crumbs; sprinkle over top of each shell.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 350° F, for 20 to 25 minutes or until brown.