A simple recipe for delicious crab appetizers. Baked crab balls are served on toothpicks and go well with a glass of white wine.
- 1 pound crab meat
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1/4 cup butter or other fat, melted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Remove any shell or cartilage from crab meat.
- Cook onion in butter.
- Blend in flour.
- Add milk gradually and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Combine egg yolk and seasonings.
- Stir a little of the hot sauce into egg yolk; add to remaining sauce, stirring constantly.
- Add crab meat; blend into a paste and cool.
- Portion crab mixture with a teaspoon.
- Shape into small balls.
- Roll in crumbs.
- Fry in a basket in deep fat, 375° F, for 2 minutes or until brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve on toothpicks.
Makes approximately 84 appetizers.