To follow the tradition, deviled clams recipe must include hot spices and the ingredients should be stuffed in empty clam shells. The same method is used for making deviled eggs. This clam recipe calls for Tabasco sauce, however, any hot pepper like cayenne, may be added.
- 1 pint clams
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter or other fat, melted
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 3 drops tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup cracker meal
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter or other fat, melted
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Drain and chop clams.
- Cook garlic, onion and celery in butter until tender.
- Blend in flour and seasonings.
- Add clams and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Stir a little of the hot sauce into egg, add to remaining sauce, stirring constantly.
- Add meal and parsley.
- Fill 6 well greased individual shells or casseroles.
- Combine butter and crumbs; sprinkle over top of each shell.
- Bake in a hot oven, 400° F, for 10 minutes or until brown.