Manhattan Clam Chowder
In addition to standard ingredients like clams and potatoes, Manhattan clam chowder recipe calls for chopped celery and green pepper. Cayenne pepper, celery, onion and bell pepper can place this clam recipe in Louisiana Cajun style of cooking.
- 1 pint clams
- 1/4 cup chopped bacon or salt pork
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup clam liquor and water
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne
- 2 cups tomato juice
- Drain clams and save liquor. Chop.
- Fry bacon until lightly brown.
- Add onion, green pepper and celery; cook until tender.
- Add liquor, potatoes, seasonings and clams.
- Cook about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add tomato juice; heat.