Clam au Gratin
Fish and seafood recipes are often prepared in au gratin style. The term au gratin refers to a dish that is baked with a topping of breadcrumbs and cheese.
- 1 pint clams
- 1-1/4 cups clam liquor and milk
- 1/4 cup butter or other fat
- 1 cup cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Drain clams and save liquor. Chop.
- Scald liquor; add butter, macaroni, crumbs, cheese, seasonings and clams; mix well.
- Blend in egg.
- Place in a well greased 1-quart casserole.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 350° F, about 45 minutes or until firm.