- 1-pound can salmon
- 3 tablespoons butter or other fat
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash nutmeg
- 1 cup liquid (liquid from canned salmon plus milk to make volume)
- 3 eggs, separated
- Drain and flake salmon, saving liquid.
- Melt butter; blend in flour and seasonings.
- Add liquid gradually and cook until thick and smooth, stirring constantly.
- Stir a little of the hot sauce into beaten egg yolks and add to sauce, stirring constantly.
- Add salmon.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Fold gently into salmon mixture.
- Pour into well greased casserole and bake in a moderate oven, 350° F, for 45 minutes.
- Serve immediately, plain or with a sauce.