- 1-pound can salmon
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter or other fat
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1-3/4 cups liquid (liquid from canned salmon plus milk to make volume)
- 1/4 pound cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups fluffy cooked rice
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 2 tablespoons butter or other fat, melted
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Drain and flake salmon, saving liquid.
- Melt butter and blend in flour and seasonings.
- Add liquid gradually and cook until thick and smooth, stirring constantly.
- Stir in cheese and heat until melted.
- Combine salmon with rice, peas and cheese sauce.
- Place mixture in a well greased casserole.
- Combine butter and crumbs; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 375° F, for 30 minutes or until brown.