Eel in Jely
Eel in Jelly
- eel 3 lbs (1.5 kg)
- water 1-1/2 quarts (1.25 l)
- wine vinegar, 1/4 quart (250 ml
- 10 peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- salt to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/4 lemon.sliced
- white gelatine | 14 layers | 14 layers
- bouillon cube(beef or chicken) | 1 unit | 1 unit
- hard boiled eggs | 2 units | 2 units
- egg white | 1 unit | 1 unit
- Bring the 1-1/2 quarts of water to a boil with vinegar, peppercorns, salt, bay leaves, sliced onions, sliced lemon, and soup greens.
- Add the eel and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Remove the eel and boil the broth down to 1 quart.
- Into this put the crushed egg shells, the white of egg mixed with some broth, 1/4 teaspoon of meat extract and the gelatin and cook for a minute, then set aside.
- When the bouillon is clear, strain it finely.
- Slice the two hard boiled eggs and cover the bottom of a dish with them, then pour on some jelly and fish bouillon and let it get cold.
- Next put the eel on and the rest of the sliced egg, then pour the rest of the stock over and let it get cold.
When it becomes stiff, put it on a plate and garnish with lettuce. It is best to prepare this dish the day before eating.