- eel, 3-1/2 lbs (1.5 kg)
- water, 1-1/2 quarts (1.25 l)
- vinegar, 6 Tbsp (100 ml)
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- salt to taste
- Cut the eel into equal pieces, rinse, and rub each piece with salt.
- Mix 1-1/2 quarts of water with 4 tablespoonfuls of vinegar. Scald the eel in this mix.
- Heat fresh water, 2 tablespoons of vinegar, peppercorns, bay leaves, cloves, onion slices, lemon slices and salt.
- Add the eel and cook slowly for 15 minutes.
This dish is usually served on lettuce leaves and garnished with lemon slices. Caper, mustard, tartar sauce is served with it. It is excellent served cold.