Vegetarian Oats Sausage
Oats come as rolled (instant type), steel cut or whole grain. Steel cut oats provide the best texture and feel.
|Boiled steel cut oats||750 g||1.65 lb|
|Flaxseed emulsion (1:2:2)||100 g||3.5 oz|
|Raisins||60 g||2.11 oz|
|Potato flour||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Potato starch||20 g||0.7 oz|
|Guar gum||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Carrageenan||10 g||0.35 oz|
|Sugar||50 g||1.76 oz|
|Cinnamon||2 g||0.07 oz|
- Use 1 part of steel cut oats to 3 parts of water.
- Bring water to a boil, add oats and boil at low heat for 15 minutes.
- Switch off the heat, remove the lid and let the oats to cool.
- Soak raisins in water for 30 minutes and then drain.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Stuff hard into 38 mm casings.
- Cook in 176-185° F (80-85° C) water for 20 minutes.
- Place sausages in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Remove and let them cool.
* to make emulsion use given ratio (by weight) of ground flaxseeds : vegetable oil : water (or other liquid). Using a manual whisk or electric blender mix ground flaxseeds with water first until a smooth paste is obtained. Then start gradually adding oil until mayonnaise-like emulsion is obtained. More about emulsions. 100 g flaxseed emulsion = 20 g ground flaxseed : 40 g oil : 40 g water