Turkey and Pork Sausage
Low-fat and low calorie turkey and pork sausage made with textured vegetable protein and potato flour.
|lean pork||250 g||0.55 lb.|
|turkey||150 g||0.33 lb.|
|textured vegetable protein (TVP)||100 g||3.5 oz.|
|(water for TVP)||300 g||300 ml|
|vital wheat gluten||50 g||2 oz.|
|potato flour||50 g||2 oz.|
|water||100 g||100 ml|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18.0 g||3 tsp.|
|cure #1||2.0 g||1/3 tsp.|
|carrageenan||10 g||2 tsp.|
|white pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|onion powder||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|mustard, ground||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|coriander, ground||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|garlic||3.0 g||1 clove|
- Soak TVP in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Grind meats through a 3/16” (5 mm) plate.
- Mix meats with TVP. Add all remaining ingredients and mix everything together. Add only ½ water, then add more if needed.
- Stuff into 32-36 mm casings.
- Hold at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Smoke at 65° C (150° F) for 60 minutes.
- Cook sausage in water at 176° F (80° C) for about 30 minutes.
- Cool in cold water.
- Store in refrigerator.
126 calories per 100 g (3.5 oz) serving.