Beef Hot Dog
|lean beef||350 g||0.77 lb.|
|oil emulsion*||200 g||0.44 lb.|
|cold water||140 g||5/8 cup|
|textured vegetable protein (TVP)||60 g||2 oz.|
|water (for TVP)||180 g||3/4 cup|
|potato starch||50 g||1-3/4 oz.|
|non-fat dry milk||20 g||2 Tbsp.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||10 g||2-1/3 tsp|
|white pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|cure #1||1.0 g||1/4 tsp.|
|nutmeg, ground||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|coriander, ground||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|mustard, ground||1.5 g||½ tsp.|
|paprika||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|garlic, smashed||3.5 g||1 clove|
|carrageenan***||5.0 g||1 tsp.|
|sodium erythorbate**||0.1 g||use scale|
- Soak TVP in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Grind beef through a small plate (1/8”, 3 mm).
- In a food processor chop cold water, ground meat, salt, phosphate, cure #1, and sodium erythorbate. Add potato starch, non-fat dry milk, carrageenan and chop. Add spices and fat emulsion and chop/emulsify everything together.
- Stuff into 22-26 mm sheep casings.
- Hold at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Smoke at 65° C (150° F) for 30-40 minutes.
- Cook sausage in water at 176° F (80° C), about 15-20 minutes.
- Cold shower or cool in cold water. Store in refrigerator.
* oil emulsion: soy protein isolate/oil/water at 1:4:5. (How to Make Oil Emulsion)
** Sodium erythorbate and phosphate are not absolutely necessary, although recommended.
***Carrageenan is a natural extract from red seaweeds which is added to processed meats, for example formed ham. It forms gel upon cooling and improves sliceability.
175 calories per 100 g (3.5 oz) serving.