Russian Sausage (Cold Smoked)
Russian Sausage (Cold Smoked). This is the original cold smoked version of the Russian sausage.
|lean pork||500 g||1.10 lb.|
|pork back fat||300 g||0.66 lb.|
|beef||200 g||0.44 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||28 g||4½ tsp.|
|Cure #2||5.0 g||1 tsp.|
|pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|sugar||2.0 g||⅓ tsp.|
|cardamom||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|allspice||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|Madeira wine or brandy||60 ml||¼ cup|
- Cut meat and fat into 5-6 cm (2”) pieces, mix with salt, sugar and Cure # 1 and place in a cool area for 4 - 5 days.
- Grind beef with 3/8” (10 mm) plate. Manually cut back fat into ¼” (6 mm) cubes.
- Mix all ingredients with meat adding wine. Mix until all wine is absorbed by the mixture. Then add diced fat and mix everything together.
- Stuff into dry beef middles or synthetic fibrous casings 40-60 mm and form 12” (30 cm) long links.
- Hang for 2 days in a cool place.
- Cold smoke for 6 days.
- Dry for 25 - 30 days in a cool, dry and drafty area.