Obornicka Liver Sausage
Obornicka liver sausage (Kiszka Wątrobiana Obornicka) originates in a place place called Oborniki located in Poznan region of Poland.
|Pork, beef or lamb liver||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Pork feet, pork legs, pork, low grade pork trimmings, beef or veal lungs||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Fat pieces||250 g||0.55 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||20 g||3 tsp|
|herbal pepper *||2.5 g||1 tsp|
|marjoram||1.5 g||1 tsp|
|onion, fresh||20 g||1/2 small onion|
- Poach meats (except liver) in small amount of water:
- lungs and meat at 80-85°C (176-185°F).
- legs at 95°C (203°F) until soft.
- fat at 85°C (185°F), until semi-soft.
- After poaching remove gristle from lungs and meat from bones. Spread meats apart on a flat surface to cool.
- All meats ground through 2 mm plate.
- Emulsify feet/leg meat in a food processor adding 25-30% poaching stock . Then add salt, spices, all other meats, fat pieces, onion and emulsify everything together.
- Stuff loosely into large diameter hog casings and tie the ends with twine. Make hanging loop.
- Immerse sausages in boiling water and poach at 80-82°C (176-180°F) for 45-60 min until internal meat temperature reaches 74°C (165°F).
- Cool sausages in cold water to about 12°C (53°F). Wipe them dry.
- Cold smoke for about 6 hrs until sausages develop light brown color. Skip this step if unable to provide cold smoke (<68° F, 20° C).
- Keep refrigerated.
* herbal pepper can be substituted with regular pepper. Herbal pepper: white mustard seed, caraway, marjoram, chili, hot and sweet paprika, bay leaf. All selected meats should be unsalted. Soak for 2-3 hours in cold water any previously salted meats. A few water changes are needed.