Metka Pomorska (Metka pomorska)
Pomorska Metka Sausage has its origin in the Northern areas of Poland known as Pomerania (Pomorze).
|Beef with some fat and connective tissue||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Lower quality beef with connective tissue||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Pork back fat or hard fat trimmings||650 g||1.43 ;b|
|Beef kidney fat or hard fat trimmings||50 g||0.11 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||21 g||3-1/2 tsp|
|Cure #1||1.5 g||1/3 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Paprika||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
- Grind all meats through 2 mm plate. Then (optional step), they may be briefly chopped (emulsified) in bowl cutter (food processor) without adding water. During emulsifying the temperature of the meat should not exceed 15° C (59° F).
- Mix ground meat with all ingredients (without adding water) until sticky.
- Stuff into 50 mm synthetic cellulose or fibrous casings. Form straight 20-25 cm (8-10”) long links.
- Hang for 1-2 days at 10° C (50° F) and 85-90% humidity.
- Apply a thin cold smoke for 1-2 days until casings develop light brown color. Re-arrange smoke sticks or smoke carts during smoking.
- Cool in air to 12° C (53° F) or lower.
If using bowl cutter (food processor), you can add spices to ground meat and let the food processor do the mixing. Don’t add water as the purpose of cold smoking is to eliminate moisture and not to bring it in.