Liver Sausage with Raisins
Liver Sausage with Almonds, Bread and Raisins
|Pork liver||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Pork meat trimmings||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork belly, jowls, pork fat trimmings||400 g||0.88 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Onions||40 g||1/2 small|
|White bread||60 g||2 oz|
|Blanched almonds, diced||45 g||1.5 oz|
|Raisins||45 g||1.5 oz|
|Currants||60 g||2 oz|
|Fine sugar||45 g||1.5 oz|
|Salt||12 g||2 tsp|
|Cinnamon||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Vanilla||5 ml||1 tsp|
|Milk||60 ml||2 oz fl|
|Water||60 ml||2 oz fl|
- Break bread into small pieces and soak in 60 ml of milk.
- Dice onions finely and fry them in fat until glassy.
- Soak raisins and currants in 60 ml of water.
- Cut pork liver into slices, remove the blood veins, any glands and sinews. Scald with hot water until the livers are clean. Grind liver through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Cook meats and fat (except liver) in hot water (below the boiling point) for 30 minutes. Drain and cool. Save meat stock.
- Grind meats and fat through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Emulsify pork liver in a food processor.
- Take a mixing bowl and mix ground meat and fat, emulsified liver, bread, onions, raisins, almonds, salt, sugar and spices. Add a little water if needed.
- Stuff into hog casings, beef rounds or synthetic casings making links 12” (30 cm) long.
- Cook in meat stock or in water at 75° C (167° F) for 35 minutes.
- Cool sausages in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Dry in air and refrigerate