Finnish liver sausages are often made with rice or barley.
|Pork liver||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Cooked rice||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Milk||125 ml||1/2 cup|
|Diced onion||50 g||1 onion|
|Raisins||30 g||1 oz|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||12 g||2 tsp|
|White pepper||3.0 g||1-1/2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Ginger||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
- Grind the liver through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Finely dice the onion.
- Fry the onion in butter until glassy, add the ground liver and cook 5 minutes more.
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well together.
- Stuff loosely into 32 mm hog casings making 6” (15 cm) long links.
- Place in hot water and cook at 80° C (176° F) for 30 minutes.
- Drain and cool.
- Store in refrigerator.
- To serve, cook the sausages in the oven or brown them in butter in a frying pan.
Some recipes include boiled barley groats instead of rice.