False Liver Sausage
False liver sausage looks and feels like a liver sausage, but is made without the liver.
|Pork butt||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Back fat||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Lean pork||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Tripe (pork or beef), cooked||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork trimmings rich in connective tissue, skins, pork legs||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|White pepper||3.0 g||1-1/2 tsp|
|Allspice, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Marjoram, ground||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Ginger, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Garlic, chopped||8.0 g||2 cloves|
|Maggi® seasoning||3 ml||1/2 tsp|
|Onions, chopped||30 g||1/2 small|
|Potato starch or flour||15 g||3 tsp|
|Meat stock||60 ml||2 oz fl|
- Rinse tripe well. Cook in hot water at 90° C (195° F) until soft. Drain and cool.
- In a separate pot cook all meats in hot water at 90° C (195° F) until soft. Cook back fat for 10 minutes only. Drain meats and save the stock.
- Fry chopped onion in lard until glassy.
- Grind pork trimmings through 1/8” (3 mm) plate then emulsify in food processor with 60 ml of meat stock and spices.
- Grind tripe with onion through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Grind back fat through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Grind pork butt and lean pork through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Mix ground pork butt and lean pork with salt. Mix with tripe and emulsified trimmings and other ingredients. Lastly add ground fat and mix all together.
- Stuff firmly into 36 mm hog casings.
- Cook in water or meat stock at 80° C (176° F) for 35 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes in cold water. Dry briefly and refrigerate.
Original recipe called for 200 g of lungs. You can replace pork butt with lungs, however, those might be difficult to find.