Polish White Liver Sausage
A traditional Polish liver sausage that consists of liver, fat, bread and egg. The practice of extending the value of meat by adding dry rolls was very common not only in sausages, but in other meat dishes as well. They were added to ground meat to make a type of hamburger known as "Sznycel." Surprisignly, it worked very well and the taste was great. Dry rolls were also grated to obtain bread crumbs. This liver sausage was very popular in the central region known as Wielkopolska.
|pork liver||350 g||12.3 oz|
|jowls, bacon or back fat||300 g||10.58 oz|
|dry roll||80 g||1 roll|
|medium onion||90 g||3.2 oz|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|plain bread crumbs||50 g||1.76 oz|
|egg||75 g||1 egg|
|salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|white pepper||2 g||1 tsp|
|allspice||2 g||1 tsp|
- Soak dry roll (Portuguese type) in water until soft. Press gently fork against the roll to drain excess of water.
- Finely dice onion
- Grind fat through 3 mm, 1/8" plate
- Grind onion through 3 mm, 1/8" plate
- Grind liver through 3 mm, 1/8" plate
- Mix liver, fat, eggs and all spices together
- Stuff into 36-40 mm natural or synthetic casings
- Place sausages in hot water and cook at 176 F, 80 C for 45-60 minutes.
- Cool sausages in cold water for 20 minutes.
- Hang sausages in the air for 30 minutes.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.