Hurka Blood Sausage
Hurka is a well known Hungarian water cooked sausage made originally from organ meats such as pork liver, lungs, head meat, rice and onions. There is a regular type of Hurka and the blood type. Both types are very popular.
|pork liver||300 g||0.66 lb|
|pork butt||500 g||1.10 lb|
|blood||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||15 g||3 tsp|
|pepper||4 g||2 tsp|
|½ small onion, chopped||30 g||2 Tbsp|
|cooked rice||150 g||1 cup|
- Boil all meats (except liver) for about 2 hours. Poach liver in hot water until no traces of blood are visible (cut the liver to test).
- Grind meat through 3/8 plate (8 mm). Grind liver through 3/16" (3 mm) plate.
- Cook rice for about 15 minutes (don't overcook). Place some bacon fat or lard on a frying pan and fry onions until light brown.
- Add blood and mix everything together.
- Stuff loosely (rice may still expand) into 36 mm hog or synthetic casings.
- Cook for 30 minutes in water at 85º C (185º F).