|beef||400 g||0.88 lb.|
|pork||350 g||0.77 lb.|
|back fat||250 g||0.55 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|white pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|paprika||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|mace||0.5 g||⅓ tsp.|
|garlic||3.5 g||1 clove|
|crushed ice (cold water)||150 ml||⅝ cup|
- Grind all meats through ⅛” (3 mm) plate.
- Dissolve all other ingredients in a little water and stir well. Mix all ingredients with meats.
- Emulsify ground meat in a food processor adding crushed ice.
- Stuff into 24-26 mm sheep casings. Hang for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Smoke for 1 hour at 140° F (60° C).
- Poach in water at 162° F (75° C) until the internal temperature reaches 154–158° F (68–70° C). That should take about 15 minutes.
- Shower with cold water, then place in a refrigerator.
- Using a manual grinder:
- Grind beef and pork with 3/8” (10 mm) plate 2-3 times.
- Grind fat pork with 1/8” (3 mm) grinder 2-3 times but keep fat separate.
- Add about 100 g (⅜ of a cup) of icy cold water to ground beef and pork and mix together until water is fully absorbed by the meat.
- Add fat and all ingredients and mix everything well together.
- Proceed to stuffing.
You can use all beef (25% fat) or different combinations of meats; pork, veal, chicken, and beef.