Ham Sausage-Polish (Kiełbasa szynkowa)
Called ham sausage because solid chunks of ham meat are imbedded in its texture.
|lean pork, ham or butt||850 g||1.87 lb.|
|pork jowls or fatty pork trimmings, picnic meat||150 g||0.33 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|sugar||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|nutmeg||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|coriander||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|cold water||60 ml||¼ cup|
- Manually cut lean pork into 2” (5 cm) cubes. Grind fat pork through ⅛” (3 mm) plate. Keep meats separate.
- Emulsify ground pork adding cold water. Add remaining ingredients when emulsifying.
- Mix diced pork until gluey, then add emulsified mixture and mix everything well together.
- Stuff firmly into 100-120 mm (4-5”) beef bungs or synthetic fibrous casings and tie the ends with twine forming a hanging loop on one end. Make 14-16” long sections. Lace up sausages with two lengthwise loops and loops across the casing every 2 inches. Prick any visible air pockets with a needle.
- Hang at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Smoke with hot smoke for 120-150 min until casings develop a light brown color with a pink tint.
- Poach sausages at 72-75°C (161-167°F) for 80-110 min until internal temperature of the meat becomes 68-70°C (154-158°F). This will take about 2 hours.
- Shower with cold water for about 5 min and place in refrigerator.