|Fresh pork belly or smoked bacon||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Hard fat||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Pea flour||400 g||0.88 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Marjoram||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.3 g||1/4 tsp|
|Thyme||0.3 g||1/4 tsp|
|Onion||30 g||1/2 onion|
- Dice fresh pork belly or smoked bacon into 1/4" (5 mm) cubes.
- Dice hard fat (or fat trimmings) into 1/4" (5 mm) cubes.
- Chop onion finely.
- Fry both belly and fat cubes until gold, stirring often.
- Fry onion in some fat until gold. Don't make it brown as it will taste bitter.
- Heat up a pot on low fire and start adding pea flour stirring continuously. Add all spices, keep on stirring.
- Add all meats, fat included, stir together and keep the mass warm otherwise it will harden.
- Stuff firmly into 40 mm casings making 8" (20 cm) straight links.
- There is no need for cooking.
Making Smoked Bacon (if used)
Ingredients for 1 kg (2.2 lb) of fresh pork belly: Salt, 18 g (3 tsp) Cure #1, 2 g (3/4 tsp)
Mix cure 1 with salt and rub into cut of bacon on all sides. Place in refrigerator for 72 hours. Apply smoke for 2 hours.
If smoked bacon is used decrease the amount of salt in the recipe to 12 g (2 tsp).
100 g (3.5 oz) of Erbswurst mixed with 750 ml (3 cups) of water will make delicious pea soup.