Botillo del Bierzo
The El Bierzo region, made up of 38 municipalities located to the west of the province of Leon (Castile-Leon), Spain. Botillo del Bierzo is a type of smoked sausage which is stuffed into pig’s cap (caecup), a large diameter pouch which is the beginning of the large intestine. The weight of Botillo del Bierzo averages 1 kg (2.2 lb).The required amount of rib meat 65-90%. The required amount of tail meat 10-20%. Trimmings from the following parts may also be incorporated: tongue, jowls, shoulder, backbone meat.
|Pork rib meat||800 g||1.96 lb|
|Tail meat||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1-1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Pimentón, sweet||10 g||2 tsp|
|Pimentón, hot||10 g||2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Oregano, rubbed||2.0 g||2 tsp|
|Garlic, minced||10 g||3 cloves|
- Grind all meat through 5/16” (8 mm) plate.
- Mix with all ingredients.
- Stuff firmly into pig’s cap.
- Smoke with oak wood at 48° C (120° F) for 1 day.
- Let it dry at 16-12° C (60-54° F) for 2 days.
- Keep refrigerated.
- This is a semi-dry product and must be cooked before serving.