Slavonski kulen is produced in the Croatian region of Slavonia. Slavonski kulen is a preserved sausage made from a mixture of the highest quality pork cuts, back fat, salt and spices stuffed into the caecum of a pig. It is a large sausage, when placed on the market, it must weigh at least 900 g (2 lbs).
Slavonski Kulen has pending application (published in 2015) for PGI classification.
|Lean pork (legs, loin)||700 g||1.76 lb|
|Pork butt||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Back fat||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||30 g||5 tsp|
|Cure #2||5.0 g||1 tsp|
|Dextrose||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Paprika, sweet||8.0 g||4 tsp|
|Garlic, dehydrated||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Red wine||15 ml||1 oz fl|
|T-SPX culture||0.12 g||use scale|
- Grind meat through 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- 30 minutes before mixing dissolve starter culture in 1 tablespoon de-chlorinated water.
- Mix lean pork with salt and cure #2. Add spices and wine. Lastly, add culture and mix all together.
- Stuff tightly into pork caecum, bung or bladder.
- Ferment at 20º C (68º F) for 72 hours, 90-85% humidity.
- Apply a thin cold smoke at 18° C (64° F) for 4 weeks using oak, beech or mixture of both woods. Maintain high humidity. Smoking does not have to be continuous as long as a low temperature is maintained. Cold smoking is drying with smoke. Fermentation takes place during the smoking step.
- Dry at 15→12° C (59→53° F), 80-75% humidity for 6 weeks.
- Dry at 10-12° C (50°-55 F), 75% humidity for 10 weeks.
- Store at 10-12° C (50-53° F), <75% humidity.