Salami di Felino
Salame di Felino is a pure pork salame from Felino, a small town located in the green Baganza valley, the food rich region around Parma. This dry aged sausage is recognized by its uneven shape, one end being smaller than the other. The salami is aged for three months in the same climactic conditions that create the world famous Prosciutto di Parma.
Salami Felino carries PGI, 2013 classification.
|Lean pork (shoulder)||600 g||1.32 lb|
|Pork belly||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Pork back fat||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||28 g||5 tsp|
|Cure #2||4.0 g||3/4 tsp|
|Pepper||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Peppercorns, whole||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Dextrose||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||2.0 g||1/3 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Garlic||3.5 g||1 clove|
|White wine||5 ml||1 tsp|
|Starter culture, T-SPX||0.12 g||use scale|
- Separately, grind lean pork and fat through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- 30 minutes before mixing dissolve starter culture in 1 tablespoon de-chlorinated water.
- Mix ground meat with salt and cure #2.
- Add fat, spices, wine and culture to the mixture and re-mix.
- Stuff into large pork casings and make 18” (45 cm) sections.
- Ferment at 20º C (68º F) for 72 hours, 90 → 85% humidity.
- Dry for 30 days at 15-12º C (59-54º F), 85→75% decreasing humidity.
- The sausage is dried until around 30-35% in weight is lost.
- Store sausages at 10-15º C (50-59º F), <75% humidity.