Duck sausage is made from duck meat, pork and beef. Other poultry meats such as turkey or chicken breasts may be substituted for duck meat. Duck meat is lean so adding some pork helps to obtain a better texture.
|duck meat||250 g||0.51 lb.|
|duck fat||100g||0.22 lb.|
|pork||400 g||0.88 lb.|
|beef||250 g||0.51 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|allspice||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|marjoram||1.0 g||⅔ tsp.|
|cold water||100 ml||⅜ cup|
- Grind meats 3/16” plate (5 mm). Grind partially frozen fat through 1/8” (3 mm) plate. Refreeze and grind again.
- Mix ground meats and fat with all ingredients adding 100 ml (1 cup) of cold water.
- Stuff firmly into 32-36 mm hog casings. Leave in a continuous coil or make 1 foot (30 cm) links.
- Hang on smokesticks and let it rest for one hour.
- When sausages feel dry apply hot smoke 60-70º C (140-158º F) for about 120 minutes until brown color develops.
- Poach at 80º C (176º F) until internal meat temperature reaches 160º F (72º C). This process will take about 60 minutes.
- Shower with cold water for 5 minutes.
- Keep in a refrigerator.