Doctor's Sausage (Daktariska)
Doctor's sausage (Daktariska) is a high quality Russian sausage made from pork and beef.
|beef, lean||150 g||0.33 lb|
|pork, lean||600 g||1.32 lb|
|pork, fat||250 g||0.55 lb|
|water||150 g||5/8 cup|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||25 g||4 tsp|
|cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|sugar||5 g||1 tsp|
|nutmeg||3.0 g||1 tsp|
- Grind all meat through 2-3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Mix all ingredients with 150 g (150 ml) water.
- Add the above solution to ground meats and mix all well together until the mass feels sticky
- Sutff the sausage mass into 60-80 mm sausage casings
- Bake for 30-60 minutes at 100 C (212 F). Stop baking when internal meat temperature reaches 40 C (104 F). Don't overcook, you are baking the surface of the sausage only.
- Cook in 80 C (176 F) water until internal meat temperature reaches 72 C (160 F).
- Shower with cold water, then cool in the air to 15 C (59 F).
- Smoke for 2-3 hours with medium hot smoke at 35-45 C (95-113 F).
- Keep refrigerated.