An English ham sausage. with rusk
|Lean pork from legs or shoulders||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Fat pork||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Rusk||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Water||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||12 g||2 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Mace||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Cayenne||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
- Soak rusk in water.
- Grind lean pork through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Grind fat through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Mix lean pork with salt and spices until sticky.
- Add soaked rusk and fat and remix.
- Stuff into beef middles, large diameter hog or fibrous casings.
- Hang at room temperature.
- Smoke for 2 hours at 60° C (140° F).
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 40 minutes or until meat reaches 72° C (160° F) internal temperature.
- Cool in cold water, dry in air to evaporate moisture and refrigerate. The sausage is ready to eat without cooking.
In the past the sausages were simmered for about an hour and afterwards cold smoked for 10 days.