Starowiejska (Kiełbasa starowiejska)
Polish smoked pork sausage
|Pork, lean||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Pork, semi-fat||600 g||1.32 lb|
|Pork rich in connective tissue||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||3.0 g||1-1/2 tsp|
|Garlic||3.5 g||1 clove|
|Mustard seeds, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||1.0 g||1/5 tsp|
- Grind: lean pork with 1/2” (12 mm) plate; semi-fat pork with 1/2” (12 mm) plate: pork rich in connective tissue with 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify pork with connective tissue adding 15-20% (30 ml, 1 oz fl) of cold water. Add spices during this step.
- Mix/knead lean and semi-fat pork together adding salt and cure # 1 until sticky.
- Stuff firmly into 32-36 mm hog casings. Hang for 60 min at room temperature.
- Apply hot smoke at 45-80° C (113-176° F) for 110-130 minutes until casings become brown with red tint.
- Cook in water at 80-85° C (176-185° F) for 25-35 min until sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature.
- Immerse sausages in cold water for 10 minutes. Wipe off moisture. Dry briefly and refrigerate.