Serdelowa with Veal (Kiełbasa serdelowa cielęca)
High quality veal wiener type sausage but much larger. Served hot by poaching briefly in hot water.
|Veal, semi-fat||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Fat trimmings or skinless jowls||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Paprika||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Allspice||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Garlic (optional)||1.5 g||1/2 clove|
- All meats and fat ground through 1/8” (3 mm)plate.
- Using food processor emulsify veal adding 35% (200 ml, 6 oz fl) crushed ice or cold water of cold water. Add salt, cure #1 and spices at this stage. Add ground fat and remix again.
- Stuff into 36 mm hog or 34-40 mm cellulose casings. Hog casings linked every 10-12” (25-30 cm) and left in a continuous coil. Cellulose casings - form straight links.
- Hang for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Apply hot smoke for 75-100 min until casings develop light pink color with a yellow tint.
- Cook in water at 70-72° C (158-161° F) for 20-30 min until sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature.
- Immerse (or shower) in cold water to cool sausages to 12° C (53° F) or lower. Divide sausage links into pairs. Keep refrigerated.