Krakowska Sausage (Kiełbasa krakowska)
This sausage has always been one of the top sellers in Poland. The name relates to the city of Krakow, one of the oldest cities in Europe. If you follow the recipe you will see that the sliced sausage contains visible chunks of meat. This popular sausage is made in different forms: dry sausage, semi-dry sausage or a regular hot smoked type.
|Pork, lean||450 g||0.99 lb|
|Pork, semi-fat||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Pork trimmings rich in connective tissue||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Beef, lean or semi-fat||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure # 1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Coriander||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Garlic||2.5 g||1 clove|
- Curing meat. Keep different type of meat separately.
- Cut lean pork into 2” (50 mm) chunks. Cut other types into 1” (25 mm) size or as practical. Place meats in separate containers and mix with salt and cure #1: lean pork - 9 g salt, 1.2 g cure #1; semi-fat pork - 6 g salt, 0.9 g cure #1; pork trimmings - 1.5 g salt, 0.15 g cure #1; beef - 1.5 g salt, 0.25 g cure #1.
- Pack meat tightly in a container, cover with cloth and place for 3 days in refrigerator.
- Leave lean pork cubes intact. Grind semi-fat pork through 3/4” (20 mm) plate.`Grind pork trimmings and beef through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify pork pork trimmings and beef adding 40-50% (90 ml, 3 oz fl) crushed ice or cold water. Add spices during this step.
- Mix/knead lean cubes of pork and semi-fat ground pork until sticky. Add emulsified meat and mix all together.
- Stuff into 75 mm synthetic fibrous casings. Form 40-45 cm (16-18”) links and tie up both ends. Made at one end loop for hanging. Hang for 2-4 hours in a drafty area.
- Apply hot smoke 45-60° C (113-140° F) for 110-130 minutes.
- Cook in water at 72-75° C (161-167° F) for 55-75 min until meat reaches 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature.
- Immerse (or shower) in cold water to cool sausages to 12° C (53° F) or lower. Keep refrigerated.
The original recipe allowed replacing the natural pepper with a double amount of herbal pepper (white mustard seed, caraway, marjoram, chili, hot and sweet paprika, bay leaf).