Beef Sausage-Polish (Kiełbasa wołowa krajana pieczona)
Polish smoked and baked sausage with visible chunks of solid beef.
|Lean beef||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Beef with connective tissue||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Beef trimmings of all types and qualities||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Cold water||80 ml||1/3 cup|
- Salt |18 g| 3-1/3 tsp
- Cure #1 |2.5 g| 1/2 tsp
- Sugar |1.0 g| 1/5 tsp
- Pepper |4.0 g| 2 tsp
- Paprika |1.0 g| 1/2 tsp
- Garlic |3.0 g| 1 clove
- Cut lean beef into 1/2” (12 mm) cubes and mix with 1/2 of salt and cure #1. Pack tightly in a container, cover with cloth and leave for 72 hours in refrigerator. This curing step will impart a strong red color to the cubes (they are the show meat) so they will stand out when the sausage is sliced.
- beef with connective tissue through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- beef trimmings through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify ground beef with 80 ml (1/3 cup) cold water. Add remaining salt, cure and spices during this step.
- Mix (knead) beef cubes until sticky. Add emulsified meat and mix all together.
- Stuff firmly into 55-65 mm synthetic fibrous casings making 40-45 cm (16-18”) links. Make a hanging loop.
- Hang for 12 hours in refrigerator or 3-4 hours at room temperature.
- Apply hot smoke for 100 min until casings become brown with red tint. Increase temperature to 75-90° C (167-194° F) and bake sausages for 30-40 min until sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature. A very thin smoke is allowed during baking.
- Cool in air.
- Keep refrigerated.