Perunamakkara (Potato Sausage)
Perunmakkara is Finnish potato sausage. Potato sausages are probably the most popular sausage type in Scandinavian countries such as Finland, Norway, Denmark and Sweden.
|Potatoes||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Beef||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork semi-fat, shoulder, some belly||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Milk||100 ml||3.3 fl oz|
|Onion||50 g||1 small|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||12 g||2 tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Allspice, ground||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Ginger||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Butter||30 g||1 oz|
- Peel potatoes, slice into pieces and place in water to prevent browning, Boil the potatoes until done. Drain.
- Dice the onion finely and fry in butter on low heat until glassy.
- Grind pork and beef through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Smash potatoes and mix with milk and spices. Add ground meat and mix all together.
- Stuff into 36 mm hog casings making links 6” (15 cm) long.
- Cook in hot water at 80º C (176º F) for 35 minutes.
Brown the sausages by frying or grilling before serving.