American bologna is an American equivalent of Italian Mortadella made without visible pieces of fat.
|Beef trimmings||750 g||1.55 lb|
|Pork trimmings||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Pork back fat or hard fat trimmings||50 g||0.11 lb|
- Salt |18 g|3 tsp
- Cure #1 |2.5 g|1/2 tsp
- White pepper |2.0 g|1 tsp
- Coriander |1.0 g|1 tsp
- Paprika, sweet |1.0 g|1 tsp
- Nutmeg |0.5 g|1/4 tsp
- Garlic |3.0 g|1 clove
- Potato flour |50 g|1.7 oz
- Cold water |240 ml|1 cup
- Grind beef through 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Grind pork through 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Grind fat through 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify beef with half of water. Then add as follows: pork plus salt, cure #1 and spices-fat -flour. Keep on slowly adding the remaining water as emulsifying process continues.
- Stuff into beef bungs, beef middles or large diameter cellulose or fibrous casings.
- Hang in 4º C (38º F) overnight or for 2-3 hours at room temperature.
- Apply smoke at 46º C (115º F) for 3 hours.
- Cook in water at around 72° C (160° F) for 60-90 min according to thickness until sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) inside
- After cooking place sausages for about 10 min in cold water, cool them in air and refrigerate.