Braunschweiger Liver Sausage
|pork liver||500 g||1.10 lb.|
|pork jowls, bacon, or fat pork trimmings||500 g||1.10 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|marjoram||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|nutmeg||1.0 g||½ tsp.|
|onion, finely chopped||60 g||1 onion|
- Cut back fat into ¼” (6 mm) pieces.
- Soak liver in cold running water for 1 hour, remove sinews, cut into slices and cover with water of 90°C (194°F). Poach liver 8-10 min stirring frequently. Cool liver in cold water for about 5 min and leave to drain water away.
- Grind previously poached liver through 2 mm plate and emulsify. Grind fat pieces through 2 mm plate and emulsify.
- Add salt, spices, onions, emulsified fat and liver and mix everything together.
- Stuff loosely into pork bungs, pork middles or 65 mm synthetic cellulose casings. Tie the ends with twine and make a hanging loop.
- Immerse sausages in boiling water and poach at 176-185°F (80-85°C) for 50-90 min until the internal meat temperature reaches 154-158°F (68-70°C).
- Cool sausages in cold running water for about 10 min, then hang them up and cool down to below 6°C (43°F).
- If smoky flavor is desired, the sausages may be cold smoked for 5-6 hours and then cooled down again.
- Store in refrigerator.