Verivorst is Estonian blood sausage served traditionally at Christmas with cranberry sauce or with sauerkraut and browned potatoes.
|Pork head meat, snouts, heart, pork trimmings||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Jowls, belly or back fat||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Pork or veal lungs||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Pork skins||50 g||0.11 lb|
|Blood||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Barley groats||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||20 g||3-1/3 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Marjoram||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Allspice||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Onion, chopped||40 g||1/2|
- Cook meats in a small amount of water: skins at 95° C (203° F) until soft; jowls at 85° C (185° F) until semi-soft; other meats at 80-85° C (176-185° F) until soft.
- Save meat stock. Remove gristle from lungs and meat from heads when still warm. Spread meats apart on a flat surface to cool.
- Boil barley groats (200 g) in 400-440 ml of left over meat stock or water until semi-soft. Boil groats for 30 minutes stirring often. After boiling leave for 30-60 minutes covered.
- Grind head meat, hearts, snouts and ¼ (50 g) jowls through 3/8” (10 mm) plate. Grind lungs and remaining ¾ (150 g) jowls through 1/4” (5 mm plate). Grind boiled skins through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Mix salt, spices and chopped onions with ground meats. Mix barley with blood and then mix everything together.
- Stuff loosely into pork middles or beef rounds forming straight links or rings 6-12” (15-30 cm) each.
- Immerse sausages in boiling water and cook at 80° C (176° F) for about 60-90 min until the sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature.
- Immerse sausages for 15 min in cold water, then hang in air to cool.
- Keep refrigerated