Whole Cabbage Kimchi
- napa cabbage, 2.5 kg (5.5 lb)
- white radish, 500 g (1.76 lb)
- scallions, 1 bunch, 250 g (8 oz)
- garlic cloves, 6, crushed
- ginger root, 1, finely diced, 25 g (1 oz)
- red pepper powder, 1/2 cup, 40 g (1.4 oz)
- watercress, 1 bundle, 150 g (5 oz)
- pickled baby shrimp, 1/2 cup, 56 g (2 oz)
- salt, 50 g (3 Tbsp)
- Trim off outer leaves, cut the root, and split cabbage into separate halves.
- Make a brine: 3 cups salt to 4 quarts water. Brine the cabbage for 3 hours. Rinse cabbage in fresh water and squeeze the water out, repeat twice more. Drain cabbage for 30 minutes.
- Make red pepper paste. Cut radishes thinly into 1î (5 cm) long julienne strips. Coat strips with the paste.
- Cut scallions diagonally, dice ginger and crush garlic. Drain pickled baby shrimp.
- Mix all together.
- Pack the stuffing between the leaves. Wrap the stuffed cabbage with the outer layer of leaves.
- Pack stuffed cabbage in a container. Put on top outer leaves that were removed in step #1. Sprinkle with salt. Place weight on top. Ferment 3 days.
Available from Amazon in paperback and eBook format