Because of flavor, it is best to can livers alone. Gizzards and hearts, may be canned together. Since they are ordinarily canned and used in small quantities, directions are given only for pint glass jars and no. 2 cans.
- Put giblets in cooking pan. Cover with broth made from bony pieces, or hot water. Cover pan and precook giblets until medium done. Stir occasionally.
- If salt is desired, put level measure into clean, empty containers: 1/2 teaspoon in pint jar or No. 2 can.
- Pack giblets hot. Leave about 1 inch above meat in glass jars for head space, 1/2 inch in cans.
- Cover giblets with hot broth or hot water. Leave 1 inch for head space in jars, fill cans to top.
- Work out air bubbles with knife. Add more liquid, if needed, to cover meat. Be sure to leave 1 inch headspace in jars and have cans filled to top.
- Adjust lids on glass jars, seal cans.
- Process at once in the steam pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure (240° F, 116° C).
|Style of Pack||Container||Process Time||Canner Pressure at "0" ft|
|Hot||Jar-Pint||75 min||11 lb||10 lb|
For processing at above 1,000 ft, see Altitude Adjustments.