b. Cure skins for 48 hours in 18° Be (70° salinometer, 18% salt) at refrigerator temperature. Use enough solution to be able to mix the skins without difficulty. 70° SAL solution: 1.88 lb salt to 1 gallon of water.
c. Simmer the skins for 25 minutes at 194-203° F, 90-95° C, but don't make them too soft.
d. Cool the skins on screens as warm skins glue together during grinding.
2. Dice onion and fry in lard until golden.
3. Cut pork and veal into 1" (25 mm) pieces.
4. Grind skins through 1/8" (3 mm) plate.
5. Mix meats with ground skins adding salt, until the mixture becomes sticky. Add onion and spices and remix.
6. Pack the cans leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
7. Exhaust cans to 170° F, 77° C meat temperature.
8. Add hot boiling water (if needed) 1/4 inch to top.
9. Process at once at 250° F, 121° C:
No.2.5, 401x411 - 80 min
307x409 - 70 min
307x200.25 - 50 min
Available from Amazon in paperback and eBook format