Lamb with Beans
|muttong||640 g||22.57 oz|
|white beans, dry||260 g||9.17 oz|
|pork lard||10 g||0.35 oz|
|pork bones for making stock||200 g||7 oz|
|Ingredients for 1 kg (2.2 lb) of materials|
|salt||13 g||2-1/2 tsp|
|pepper||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|garlic||3.0 g||1 clove|
|paprika||1.5 g||2 tsp|
|vinegar||18 ml||1 Tbsp|
|wheat flour||30 g|
- Soak beans for 12 hours in water. Stir. Dry beans must gain 85% in weight (use scale). If more weight gain is needed soak beans longer.
- Cut mutton into 1 inch (25 mm) pieces. Mix with salt, pepper and garlic.
- Place pork bones in pot, cover with 600 ml (20 oz) water and boil for 4 hours. Strain the stock.
- Making the roux. Heat the lard in a frying pan, adding flour. Stir continuously until light brown. Add 160 ml (2/3 cup) of pork stock (leftover liquid from boiling bones) and mix together. Add vinegar and mix.
- Mix diced meats, ground skins, diced onion, spices and the roux together.
- a. Pack about 160 g meat (5.64 oz) and cover with roux-stock liquid. Add about 200 g (7.05 oz) beans into pint jars. Fill with hot boiling stock leaving 1 inch headspace.
b. Pack about 100 g of meat (3.52 oz) and cover with roux-stock liquid. Add about 120 g (4.23 oz) of beans. Fill with hot boiling stock leaving 1 inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles, adjust lids and process at once at 250° F, 121° C:
1/2 Pint jars - 50 min
Pint jars - 60 min