Strawberry jam is the most popular jam in the world. It can be made from strawberries only or with other fruits like sour cherries or rhubarb. The texture and sweetness of the jam depends on the amount of sugar, the more sugar the thicker the jam.
- Strawberries, 1 kg (2,2 lb)
- Sugar, 600 g (1.32 lb)
- Lemon juice, 120 ml, (1/2 cup)
- ½ pint jars
- Wash strawberries and remove the stems. Cut large strawberries in half, quarter the small ones.
- Mix strawberries with sugar in a large bowl, cover and leave for 3 hours at room temperature.
- Place strawberries in a large pot, add lemon juice, cover and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Lower the heat, remove cover and cook for about 30 minutes stirring often. Discard foam from the top.
- Take the jam off the heat and perform the refrigerator test to see if it is ready.
- Fill glass jars with hot jam to within ¼ inch from the top. Remove air bubbles and wipe off the jar rim. Install and tighten the cover.
- Place jars in a bath canner and bring water to boil. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars from the canner and leave undisturbed for 12 hours.
- Store in cool and dark place.