Crab souffle is made from crab meat and beaten egg whites. The mixture is filled into casserole and baked.
- 1 pound crab meat
- 3 tablespoons butter or other fat
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 1 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 egg whites, beaten
- Remove any shell or cartilage from crab meat.
- Melt butter; blend in flour and seasonings.
- Add milk gradually and cook until thick and smooth, stirring constantly.
- Stir a little of the hot sauce into egg yolk; add to remaining sauce, stirring constantly.
- Add parsley, onion, lemon juice and crab meat.
- Fold in egg white.
- Place in a well greased 1-1/2 quart casserole.
- Place casserole in a pan of hot water.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 350° F, for 1 hour or until soufflé is firm in the center.
- Serve immediately.